The Trial of Saddam Hussein and The Fallout of The War

The Trial of Saddam Hussein

Text

The fallout in the Middle East from the regime change in Iraq

Monday, August 29, 2005

No Death Sentence

Iraqi President, Jalal Talabani, has said that he will not sign a death sentence for Saddam Hussein if Saddam is convicted. Talabani went on to say that he would resign, if the sentence was passed.

Talabani opposes the death penalty on principle, and said that he expects that Saddam will be convicted.

"When the death sentence is given to me, I will not sign it on principle ... and if it does pass, I will relieve myself of my post. I think a sentence will be passed on Saddam Hussein before my term ends,".

Talabani gave authority to his deputy to sign death sentences, on his behalf, for three men convicted of murder.

He may well do the same for Saddam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope he dies