The Trial of Saddam Hussein and The Fallout of The War

The Trial of Saddam Hussein

Text

The fallout in the Middle East from the regime change in Iraq

Monday, December 05, 2005

Trial Resumes

Saddam Hussein's trial resumed again today, after a brief suspension 90 minute suspension this morning, following the walkout by his defence team.

They returned when the court reversed its decision, banning general Clark and others from speaking, and allowed the foreign members of the team to speak.

Judge Rizkar Mohammed Amin agreed to allowing them to speak, because of the court's desire to pursue its work "in transparency, it has agreed to listen to the oral arguments of the two defense attorneys".

Clark was given five minutes to speak, and al-Nuaimi was given 16 minutes. Clark's spoke about security, while al-Nuaimi spoke about the legitimacy of the court.

Amin told them off when they "went off subject", to discuss politics.

Clark said:

"If every form of participation in the judicial process is not protected, the judicial system will fail and be destroyed. The defense can not participate in this case until there is protection in place for the lawyers and their families."

The trial then saw and heard its first living witness, Ahmed Hassan Mohammed al-Dujaili then took the stand.

He said:

"Massive forces came down to Dujail as if there was a war. I saw, by God, a scene I will never forget. I saw a machine that is like a grinder, and there was blood and hair inside."

Saddam Hussein interrupted several times, saying:

"You haven't given me pen or paper? How can I write down my ideas and notes?.."

al-Dujaili continued:

"Torture didn't exclude anyone. I was just 15 years old. I saw a women being tortured -- You took my brother but why did you take my mother and sisters?"

No comments: