The Trial of Saddam Hussein and The Fallout of The War

The Trial of Saddam Hussein

Text

The fallout in the Middle East from the regime change in Iraq

Monday, January 09, 2006

Death By Firing Squad

Saddam Hussein has made it known, via his lawyer, that he prefers to be shot by a firing squad instead of being hanged if sentenced to death by the court trying him for war crimes.

Issam Ghazzawi said that Saddam told him and Ramsey Clark:

"Threatening me with death doesn't mean anything. I don't care less. The life of any one Iraqi is no less valuable than mine. I am the commander-in-chief. I prefer it to be by firing squad.

I'm not afraid of death. Of course I'm not guilty, but I know they want me dead."

He then went on to add:

"I'm fighting against US tyranny on behalf of Iraqis, Arabs, all the people of the world. The US will not be able to formulate a new world. They tried in Iraq and failed badly, so by standing against President George W Bush we are protecting other countries and regions of the world. Now the US will think a thousand times before daring to attack another country."

I wonder now if it wouldn't have been better if Saddam had been shot, "resisting arrest", when he was captured?

Views anyone?

No comments: