The Trial of Saddam Hussein and The Fallout of The War

The Trial of Saddam Hussein

Text

The fallout in the Middle East from the regime change in Iraq

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Saddam Gives Interview From Prison

The following are excerpts from a phone interview with Saddam Hussein, conducted by Al-Fayhaa TV on March 28, 2006.

In the interview Saddam responds to a taped message issued by his former vice president and loyalist 'Izzat Al-Duri, who addressed the Arab League summit in Sudan.

The source for this transcript is The Middle East Media Research Institute.

If the interview is genuine, it appears that Saddam is dellusional. However, there is a strong possibility that the interview is fake.

Saddam Hussein: "All 'Izzat Al-Duri ever wanted was to address the Iraqis as their leader, even if just for a few short minutes. Everybody remembers that he once addressed the Iraqi Women's Union without my knowledge. Do you know what I did to him?"

Interviewer: "We don't know. Tell us."

[...]

Saddam Hussein: "The first thing I did when they brought him was to spit in his face."

Interviewer: "Why?"

Saddam Hussein: "I said to him: 'You despicable man, I spit on your owl's face. How do you address these glorious women without me knowing about it?'"

[...]

"The only one who makes speeches in Iraq is the supreme leader - meaning me.

"At this point 'Izzat Al-Duri pulled out his handkerchief and cried. I said to him: 'Look 'Izzat, this time I forgive you, but I swear by my honor, and the honor of the history of the Arab nation, that if you ever repeat this mistake I will cut your tongue off.'"

Interviewer: "And now he has repeated this mistake, as you call it, and has published a statement addressed to the [Arab League] summit, as was mentioned on one of the television stations."

Saddam Hussein: "I didn't hear the speech, because I'm in prison."

[...]

"Even though I am in prison, I don't allow anyone to speak on my behalf, so long as I live. I am still the president."

[...]

"Internet... Whatever... I give speeches without fearing anyone. I give speeches face to face..."

[...]

Interviewer: "You're in prison. How can you give speeches?"

Saddam Hussein: "That's a good question. You watch the court sessions. How many sessions have there been so far? Fifteen sessions?"

Interviewer: "Seventeen."

Saddam Hussein: "I give a speech at every single session."

[...]

"If I don't give speeches, I get heartburn.

"If 'Izzat Al-Duri is alive and he can hear me, I want to address him, through you, and to tell him to beware."

[...]

"Isn't this a disgrace? The leader of the Arabs - 'Izzat Al-Duri speaks on his behalf?! 'Izzat Al-Duri doesn't even know how to stand at attention. He should speak on behalf of Saddam Hussein? Any speech that doesn't receive my signature is unofficial, illegitimate, and illegal."

[...]

"He should beware and shut up. Why does he make speeches and exploit state funds? I left the funds under your responsibility. Billions of dollars... I left you the funds and you should use them properly. He goes and blows up mosques, markets, and schools."

[...]

"I know that people who listen to me might think that Saddam Hussein has become apathetic in prison and stopped supporting terrorism. No. I'm not ashamed to tell you that Iraq without Saddam Hussein isn't worth two bits. Therefore, it will make me happy if Iraq turns into dust."

Interviewer: "This reminds me that in one of your speeches, you said that you would leave Iraq a country without a people."

Saddam Hussein: "What is the people worth without Saddam Hussein?! What is it worth? Iraq is entirely Saddam Hussein. 'Long live Iraq' means 'long live Saddam Hussein.' What is Iraq worth without Saddam Hussein?"

Interviewer: "You keep on with those slogans? You still cling to them..."

Saddam Hussein: "I was brought up on it. How do you want me to go back on this? Iraqis hear these things about me as soon as they come out of their mothers' wombs."

[...]

"I repeat: Iraq without Saddam Hussein isn't worth two bits. Therefore, it will make me happy if Iraq turns into ashes.

"I call to punish 'Izzat Al-Duri, because he burned my heart."

Interviewer: "Why, because he published a statement without your permission?"

Saddam Hussein: "He gave a speech without me knowing it. The punishment that I want for him is to cut off his tongue and ears."

Interviewer: "Why cutting off his tongue and ears?"

Saddam Hussein: "To make him the same as all the renegades whose tongues and ears I cut off. And if 'Izzat Al-Duri continues giving speeches in sign language, like the deaf do, I demand that his hands be cut off. And so on and so forth, until 'Izzat Al-Duri is finished, and we get rid of this degenerate."

No comments: