The Trial of Saddam Hussein and The Fallout of The War

The Trial of Saddam Hussein

Text

The fallout in the Middle East from the regime change in Iraq

Monday, September 18, 2006

Dutchman Testifies

Karawan Abdellah, a Dutchman, gave testimony today at Saddam Hussein's trial.

He noted that he had temporarily lost his eyesight, as a result of an alleged chemical attack by Iraqi forces on his northern village almost twenty years ago in March 1988.

Abdellah said that he is still in pain from the injury.

Quote:

"I stayed in a hospital for six months and during this period I wasn't able to see at all."

Adding:

"When I take off my glasses in front of my children, they tell me to wear them again because they get scared of the way my eyes look."

He said that he later received further treatment in the Netherlands, where he applied for asylum and was granted a Dutch passport in 1994.

Saddam briefly cross examined Abdellah, and noted that as Abdellah was a Dutchman not an Iraqi under the law he shouldn't be giving testimony.

Saddam also tried to explain how the Kurds were allied with Iran, but the judge again warned him:

"You embarrass me when you get into such details."

Saddam failed to heed the warning, and had his microphone cut off by the judge.

The trial continues.

No comments: