Iraqi Airways has now resumed flights to Turkey since sanctions were imposed in 1991, following Saddam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait.
Iraqi Airways is planning to operate two commercial flights a week between Baghdad and Istanbul.
The airline resumed international flights in September 2004 with a Baghdad-Amman service, after being grounded for 14 years.
It currently flies to Amman in Jordan, Damascus as well as the Iraqi cities of Arbil and Basra.
Small steps maybe, but important ones nonetheless.
The Trial of Saddam Hussein and The Fallout of The War
The Trial of Saddam Hussein
Text
The fallout in the Middle East from the regime change in Iraq
Friday, August 05, 2005
Thursday, August 04, 2005
The Mother of All Mercs
First Sergeant William von Zehle has just shipped Saddam Hussein's Mercedes car to the USA.
The Connecticut soldier bought the car for about $5K, when he was serving in Baghdad. Much like the Batmobile, the car has one or two extras such as armour plating and flame throwers that shoot out the sides for crowd control.
Von Zehle says he did some research on the car, and found that just three of armoured 560 models were sold to the Iraqi government in 1988.
Von Zehle had the Mercedes shipped back home where it sits in his garage. He hasn't registered the car yet, and says it needs some work.
A broken front passenger window needs to be replaced. However, the bulletproof glass costs more than $14K.
The Connecticut soldier bought the car for about $5K, when he was serving in Baghdad. Much like the Batmobile, the car has one or two extras such as armour plating and flame throwers that shoot out the sides for crowd control.
Von Zehle says he did some research on the car, and found that just three of armoured 560 models were sold to the Iraqi government in 1988.
Von Zehle had the Mercedes shipped back home where it sits in his garage. He hasn't registered the car yet, and says it needs some work.
A broken front passenger window needs to be replaced. However, the bulletproof glass costs more than $14K.
Wednesday, August 03, 2005
Saddam Hussein's Lawyers Boycott Trial
Saddam Hussein's lawyers will not take part in legal proceedings, until the Iraqi tribunal acknowledges he was attacked in court and guarantees the safety of all defendants and attorneys.
That is at least the view of Khalil al-Dulaimi, a lawyer for Saddam.
The dispute centres over the alleged attack on Saddam last Thursday, when he attended court. Members of Saddam's defence team claim that he was attacked during the court appearance. However, the government and the Iraqi Special Tribunal said there had been no attack.
Khalil al-Dulaimi insists that the allegation is true, and demands that the government acknowledge it.
He also insists that the tribunal apologise, guarantee the safety of Saddam and other former regime figures, and punish the attacker.
He said Saddam's lawyers would stop attending any further proceedings "until our demands are met."
That is at least the view of Khalil al-Dulaimi, a lawyer for Saddam.
The dispute centres over the alleged attack on Saddam last Thursday, when he attended court. Members of Saddam's defence team claim that he was attacked during the court appearance. However, the government and the Iraqi Special Tribunal said there had been no attack.
Khalil al-Dulaimi insists that the allegation is true, and demands that the government acknowledge it.
He also insists that the tribunal apologise, guarantee the safety of Saddam and other former regime figures, and punish the attacker.
He said Saddam's lawyers would stop attending any further proceedings "until our demands are met."
Monday, August 01, 2005
Saddam Hussein's Trial To Start October
Mouwaffak al-Rubaie, Iraq's national security adviser, said that he expects Saddam Hussein to go on trial before mid-October and said the trial would be shown on TV throughout the Arab world.
Mouwaffak al-Rubaie said that Iraqis would be able to see that Saddam has "gone into the past and gone with the wind."
He went on to say that he hoped that Saddam would be tried publicly, before the Iraqi Special Tribunal; before October 15, that is the day that Iraqis are to vote as to whether to ratify a new constitution.
He said Saddam would not be allowed "to give us his rhetorics and his speeches on his nonsense. We are going to concentrate on the criminal side of it."
Al-Rubaie concluded by saying that the Iraqis would conduct a fair trial:
"with a defence counsel in there, with a proper prosecuting counsel as well there, and everybody will watch this trial live on television."
Mouwaffak al-Rubaie said that Iraqis would be able to see that Saddam has "gone into the past and gone with the wind."
He went on to say that he hoped that Saddam would be tried publicly, before the Iraqi Special Tribunal; before October 15, that is the day that Iraqis are to vote as to whether to ratify a new constitution.
He said Saddam would not be allowed "to give us his rhetorics and his speeches on his nonsense. We are going to concentrate on the criminal side of it."
Al-Rubaie concluded by saying that the Iraqis would conduct a fair trial:
"with a defence counsel in there, with a proper prosecuting counsel as well there, and everybody will watch this trial live on television."
Saddam Hussein Attacked In Court
Defence lawyers for Saddam Hussein say that an unidentified man attacked the former dictator, during his appearance at a court hearing in Baghdad Thursday.
The legal team said in a statement on Saturday that the man attacked Saddam, as he stood to leave the courtroom, and the two exchanged blows.
It is not clear as to whether Saddam was hurt.
The statement said that the head of the tribunal did nothing to stop the assault.
The legal team said in a statement on Saturday that the man attacked Saddam, as he stood to leave the courtroom, and the two exchanged blows.
It is not clear as to whether Saddam was hurt.
The statement said that the head of the tribunal did nothing to stop the assault.
Friday, July 29, 2005
President Offers His Protection
The president of Iraq, Jalal Talabani, said yesterday that he would personally ensure the protection of the independent Iraqi tribunal preparing the trials of Saddam Hussein and his aides.
The trial has been threatened with a purge of its judges, prosecutors and officials.
President Jalal Talabani made his comments during a TV news conference with Raid Juhi, the judge investigating Saddam's crimes and one of the 19 tribunal members facing dismissal.
Talabani said:
"I will do my best to ensure that they are respected by other government parties, especially the De-Baathificaton Commission..I hope the members of the tribunal get appreciation and respect for the efforts they've exerted in administering justice."
Talabani stance directly challenges Chalabi.
Juhi said:
"We are still continuing our work,".
Some believe that Chalabi is trying to purge Juhi as vengeance for Moktada al-Sadr, the popular cleric who has led two uprisings against the Americans.
The trial has been threatened with a purge of its judges, prosecutors and officials.
President Jalal Talabani made his comments during a TV news conference with Raid Juhi, the judge investigating Saddam's crimes and one of the 19 tribunal members facing dismissal.
Talabani said:
"I will do my best to ensure that they are respected by other government parties, especially the De-Baathificaton Commission..I hope the members of the tribunal get appreciation and respect for the efforts they've exerted in administering justice."
Talabani stance directly challenges Chalabi.
Juhi said:
"We are still continuing our work,".
Some believe that Chalabi is trying to purge Juhi as vengeance for Moktada al-Sadr, the popular cleric who has led two uprisings against the Americans.
Thursday, July 28, 2005
Saddam Hussein's Phonecard
A telephone card that bears an image of Saddam Hussein has been removed from the Brazilian market by Telefonica, after Sao Paulo prosecutors threatened the telephone company.
The card, featuring Hussein in the custody of soldiers one of whom is pointing his gun at Hussein, was issued by Telefonica in June as part of its "World History" series.
However, Telefonica withdrew the card this week after local prosecutors threatened to charge the company with inciting violence and racial intolerance.
It also alleged that the card represented only one view, that of the United States, of Hussein's situation.
Whilst the card itself might be considered to be rather tasteless, the reaction of the prosecutors in Sao Paulo is absurd.
The card represented a moment in history, whether one agrees with it or not, to deny that this moment happened is akin to burying one's head in the sand.
Doubtless those copies of the card that have been issued, will now become collectors' items.
The card, featuring Hussein in the custody of soldiers one of whom is pointing his gun at Hussein, was issued by Telefonica in June as part of its "World History" series.
However, Telefonica withdrew the card this week after local prosecutors threatened to charge the company with inciting violence and racial intolerance.
It also alleged that the card represented only one view, that of the United States, of Hussein's situation.
Whilst the card itself might be considered to be rather tasteless, the reaction of the prosecutors in Sao Paulo is absurd.
The card represented a moment in history, whether one agrees with it or not, to deny that this moment happened is akin to burying one's head in the sand.
Doubtless those copies of the card that have been issued, will now become collectors' items.
Wednesday, July 27, 2005
Demands For Judge To Be Ousted
Aides to Iraq's Deputy Prime Minister, Ahmad Chalabi, have said that they will demand the dismissal of Raid Juhi the judge who has led the investigations of the mass killings committed under Saddam Hussein.
This demand will go in the face of US calls for restraint.
Raid Juhi is the most prominent of 19 judges, prosecutors and officials on the list of those to be purged from the Iraqi tribunal set up to try Saddam.
All of the 19 are former members of Saddam's Baath Party, and therefore legally ineligible to work for the tribunal.
However, Juhi as the tribunal's chief investigative judge is considered by the Americans to be central to the work of the tribunal.
Juhi has not commented publicly on the controversy. However, it is believed by some that Chalabi, who was once a favourite of the Pentagon, was using the issue as cover for a political manoeuvre to protect Muqtada al-Sadr, a Shiite cleric who is Chalabi's new political partner.
Juhi, in 2003 issued a warrant for the arrest of al-Sadr, who led two uprisings against U.S. troops last year, on murder charges. It is possible that Chalabi is trying to punish Juhi for this.
The warrant, held in abeyance by Iraqi officials as part of the deal that ended al-Sadr's rebellion, charged him with ordering the killing of Ayatollah Abdul Majid al-Khoei, a prominent Shiite cleric.
Chalabi formed a partnership with al-Sadr, for the elections held in January, and it is believed that he hopes to become prime minister after the next round of elections in December.
He would need the help of al-Sadr for these hopes to come to fruition.
Politics is very dirty business, and politicians' motives and actions should always be taken with a pinch of salt.
This demand will go in the face of US calls for restraint.
Raid Juhi is the most prominent of 19 judges, prosecutors and officials on the list of those to be purged from the Iraqi tribunal set up to try Saddam.
All of the 19 are former members of Saddam's Baath Party, and therefore legally ineligible to work for the tribunal.
However, Juhi as the tribunal's chief investigative judge is considered by the Americans to be central to the work of the tribunal.
Juhi has not commented publicly on the controversy. However, it is believed by some that Chalabi, who was once a favourite of the Pentagon, was using the issue as cover for a political manoeuvre to protect Muqtada al-Sadr, a Shiite cleric who is Chalabi's new political partner.
Juhi, in 2003 issued a warrant for the arrest of al-Sadr, who led two uprisings against U.S. troops last year, on murder charges. It is possible that Chalabi is trying to punish Juhi for this.
The warrant, held in abeyance by Iraqi officials as part of the deal that ended al-Sadr's rebellion, charged him with ordering the killing of Ayatollah Abdul Majid al-Khoei, a prominent Shiite cleric.
Chalabi formed a partnership with al-Sadr, for the elections held in January, and it is believed that he hopes to become prime minister after the next round of elections in December.
He would need the help of al-Sadr for these hopes to come to fruition.
Politics is very dirty business, and politicians' motives and actions should always be taken with a pinch of salt.
Tuesday, July 26, 2005
Saddam Hussein Requests Swedish Trial
Saddam Hussein has had his request for his trial to be held in Sweden turned down.
Justice ministry director Ann Marie Bolin Pennegaard said:
"We have said 'no'..Sweden has no intention of filing a request to the competent authorities in Iraq for a transfer of Saddam Hussein to Sweden before his trial," .
Adding:
"Nor has Sweden considered the issue of establishing a seat of the Iraqi Special Tribunal in Sweden. It is also to be noted that there is no possibility under present Swedish legislation ... to let Saddam Hussein serve any possible sentence in a Swedish prison after his trial," .
According to reports Giovanni di Stefano, Saddam's attorney, will ask Iraq and the United Nations to file an official request for Sweden to accept Hussein before, during or after the trial.
He is quoted as saying:
"If Iraq or the UN sends a request to Sweden this could still happen. One couldn't stop an Egyptian ambassador from recently being kidnapped and murdered in Baghdad. And there is a war going on there, and how can one hold a trial when bombs are exploding outside the door?".
Adding:
"It is no longer just about Saddam Hussein getting a fair trial but also about him getting a safe trial,".
Pennegaard responded by saying:
"If completely new information comes to light we will of course have to evaluate this again,".
I doubt that the Iraqis would be too pleased to lose the chance of trying him in his own country. That being said, the situation there is hardly stable; prviding security for the trial will prove to be a major headache.
Justice ministry director Ann Marie Bolin Pennegaard said:
"We have said 'no'..Sweden has no intention of filing a request to the competent authorities in Iraq for a transfer of Saddam Hussein to Sweden before his trial," .
Adding:
"Nor has Sweden considered the issue of establishing a seat of the Iraqi Special Tribunal in Sweden. It is also to be noted that there is no possibility under present Swedish legislation ... to let Saddam Hussein serve any possible sentence in a Swedish prison after his trial," .
According to reports Giovanni di Stefano, Saddam's attorney, will ask Iraq and the United Nations to file an official request for Sweden to accept Hussein before, during or after the trial.
He is quoted as saying:
"If Iraq or the UN sends a request to Sweden this could still happen. One couldn't stop an Egyptian ambassador from recently being kidnapped and murdered in Baghdad. And there is a war going on there, and how can one hold a trial when bombs are exploding outside the door?".
Adding:
"It is no longer just about Saddam Hussein getting a fair trial but also about him getting a safe trial,".
Pennegaard responded by saying:
"If completely new information comes to light we will of course have to evaluate this again,".
I doubt that the Iraqis would be too pleased to lose the chance of trying him in his own country. That being said, the situation there is hardly stable; prviding security for the trial will prove to be a major headache.
Monday, July 25, 2005
Saddam's Assets Frozen
The U.S. Treasury on Thursday froze property and other assets in the United States of the six sons of the half brother of Saddam Hussein. The half brother is Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti, who was captured earlier this year.
Stuart Levey, the Treasury's Undersecretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence, said:
"This action targets the money flows of former regime elements actively supporting attacks against coalition forces and the Iraqi people,".
Treasury did not provide any estimate of what the property or other assets are worth.
The sons designated by Treasury are Yasir Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti, Omar Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti, Ayman Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti, Ibrahim Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti, Bashar Sabawi Ibrahim Hassan al-Tikriti and S'ad Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti.
The announcement said that the US government has information that Yasir, Omar, Ayman and Bashar provided support to elements of the former Baathist government and to groups carrying out attacks against Iraq and coalition forces, as well as against Iraqi citizens.
It is also alleged that Yasir, Omar and Bashar directed a number of anti-coalition activities in Iraq, and maintained communication with several insurgent groups throughout northern and central Iraq.
The department said it was submitting the names of the six individuals to the United Nations with the recommendation that they be listed under a resolution that requires U.N. member states to identify, freeze and transfer to a development fund assets of senior members of the former Iraqi government and their immediate family members.
Stuart Levey, the Treasury's Undersecretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence, said:
"This action targets the money flows of former regime elements actively supporting attacks against coalition forces and the Iraqi people,".
Treasury did not provide any estimate of what the property or other assets are worth.
The sons designated by Treasury are Yasir Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti, Omar Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti, Ayman Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti, Ibrahim Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti, Bashar Sabawi Ibrahim Hassan al-Tikriti and S'ad Sabawi Ibrahim Hasan al-Tikriti.
The announcement said that the US government has information that Yasir, Omar, Ayman and Bashar provided support to elements of the former Baathist government and to groups carrying out attacks against Iraq and coalition forces, as well as against Iraqi citizens.
It is also alleged that Yasir, Omar and Bashar directed a number of anti-coalition activities in Iraq, and maintained communication with several insurgent groups throughout northern and central Iraq.
The department said it was submitting the names of the six individuals to the United Nations with the recommendation that they be listed under a resolution that requires U.N. member states to identify, freeze and transfer to a development fund assets of senior members of the former Iraqi government and their immediate family members.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)