Australian Prime Minister John Howard is desperately trying to distance himself from the AWB kick back scandal, where there is a judicial inquiry into the legality of kickbacks paid by wheat exporter AWB to Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq.
Howard, despite the fact that the inquiry has yet to report its findings, is blaming the company for the scandal while distancing his government from it.
Howard wrote a letter to the Wall Street Journal, which was published this week, in it he said:
"While I don't seek to prejudge the outcome, public evidence suggests behaviour by some within AWB appears to have been designed to mislead not only my government, but the U.N. as well."
However, Howard's efforts may be in vain. An ACNielsen opinion poll of 1,189 respondents taken last week, showed that the issue is starting to bite on the government's credibility.
The report said:
"It found a strong majority of those who were aware of the Cole inquiry didn't believe the government's line that it didn't know of AWB's kickbacks."
The fallout from the collapse of Saddam's regime is engulfing more than Iraq.
The Trial of Saddam Hussein and The Fallout of The War
The Trial of Saddam Hussein
Text
The fallout in the Middle East from the regime change in Iraq
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Tuesday, April 25, 2006
On Again Off Again
The trial of Saddam Hussein resumed on Monday, but it was then adjourned until May 15.
However, during yesterday's session a group of handwriting experts confirmed that signatures on documents related to the crackdown on Shiite Muslims were those of Saddam and his co-defendants.
A report by the expanded five member team of experts was read out in court:
"The signatures and margins stipulated in the documents match the signature of Saddam Hussein on presidential decrees."
Saddam and his half-brother, Barzan al-Tikriti, have refused to give the court samples of their writing. They also argued that there was no crime in prosecuting the 148 Shi'ites, because they were accused of trying to kill Saddam.
The trial resumes on the 15th of May.
However, during yesterday's session a group of handwriting experts confirmed that signatures on documents related to the crackdown on Shiite Muslims were those of Saddam and his co-defendants.
A report by the expanded five member team of experts was read out in court:
"The signatures and margins stipulated in the documents match the signature of Saddam Hussein on presidential decrees."
Saddam and his half-brother, Barzan al-Tikriti, have refused to give the court samples of their writing. They also argued that there was no crime in prosecuting the 148 Shi'ites, because they were accused of trying to kill Saddam.
The trial resumes on the 15th of May.
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
Expert Testimony
Saddam Hussein returned to court today, and Chief Judge Raouf Abdel Rahman read out an expert's report which stated that all documents had his signature and handwriting.
The report did not give details on the documents, but one was dated June 16 1984. The same date of a memo approving the death sentences of the Shiites, presented by prosecutors earlier in the trial.
Abdel Rahman went on to tell the prosecution that one document could not be inspected, because it was a photocopy and an original was required.
The trial continues.
The report did not give details on the documents, but one was dated June 16 1984. The same date of a memo approving the death sentences of the Shiites, presented by prosecutors earlier in the trial.
Abdel Rahman went on to tell the prosecution that one document could not be inspected, because it was a photocopy and an original was required.
The trial continues.
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Trial Resumes
The trial of Saddam Hussein resumed yesterday, during the session prosecutors claimed that expert witnesses have stated that Saddam signed the death warrants for 148 Shias in Dujail in 1982.
The prosecution read out a report by experts, who said the signature on the orders matched the writing of Saddam.
The defence team disputed the claim.
Saddam Hussein sat in a metal pen, as the report was presented in court.
Prosecutors said documents with Saddam's signature also included one approving rewards for intelligence agents involved in the 1982 crackdown.
The defence claim that the experts could not be independent, because they had links to Iraq's interior ministry.
They called for a new set to be appointed from any country apart from Iran.
"And Israel" Saddam Hussein interjected.
The trial was adjourned until Wednesday to give the experts more time to study the alleged signatures of Saddam and his former head of the intelligence service, Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti.
Tikriti dismissed the prosecution's attempt to prove his role in the Dujail killings, saying his signature was forged.
The trial resumes tomorrow.
The prosecution read out a report by experts, who said the signature on the orders matched the writing of Saddam.
The defence team disputed the claim.
Saddam Hussein sat in a metal pen, as the report was presented in court.
Prosecutors said documents with Saddam's signature also included one approving rewards for intelligence agents involved in the 1982 crackdown.
The defence claim that the experts could not be independent, because they had links to Iraq's interior ministry.
They called for a new set to be appointed from any country apart from Iran.
"And Israel" Saddam Hussein interjected.
The trial was adjourned until Wednesday to give the experts more time to study the alleged signatures of Saddam and his former head of the intelligence service, Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti.
Tikriti dismissed the prosecution's attempt to prove his role in the Dujail killings, saying his signature was forged.
The trial resumes tomorrow.
Thursday, April 13, 2006
AWB Scandal
The Australian Prime Minister, John Howard, told an Australian inquiry that AWB Ltd, the nation's monopoly wheat exporter, seems to have misled his government and the United Nations about its dealings with Saddam Hussein.
AWB allegedly channeled $222M to Saddam Hussein's regime by inflating transport fees under the UN Oil-for-Food program.
Howard said:
"It appears to me as though AWB has misled the Department of Foreign Affairs.
It misled Mr. Volcker, it's misled the UN."
Howard claims that he hadn't seen 21 diplomatic cables detailing claims that AWB paid kickbacks to Saddam.
Quote:
"They weren't brought to my attention.
If they had've been brought to my attention, I would've read them."
Adding:
"It hadn't crossed my mind that AWB would've behaved corruptly.
I had always believed the best of that company."
I find it somewhat surprising for such an experienced politician to be so trusting and naive.
AWB allegedly channeled $222M to Saddam Hussein's regime by inflating transport fees under the UN Oil-for-Food program.
Howard said:
"It appears to me as though AWB has misled the Department of Foreign Affairs.
It misled Mr. Volcker, it's misled the UN."
Howard claims that he hadn't seen 21 diplomatic cables detailing claims that AWB paid kickbacks to Saddam.
Quote:
"They weren't brought to my attention.
If they had've been brought to my attention, I would've read them."
Adding:
"It hadn't crossed my mind that AWB would've behaved corruptly.
I had always believed the best of that company."
I find it somewhat surprising for such an experienced politician to be so trusting and naive.
Monday, April 10, 2006
Saddam's Daughter Speaks
Raghad Saddam Hussein, Saddam Hussein's eldest daughter, gave an interview to Al-Arabiya TV in which she has praised her uncle, Barzan Ibrahim, and the others currently on trial with Saddam as "Iraq's real men".
Raghad described the trial as "a farce and unfair", and said:
"My uncle Barzan has been remarkable in court, very courageous and a real hero. He has clarified the wrong impression that was made about Iraqi men. Those who surround my father, they what could be called Iraq's real men, the honourable image that represents our country."
Raghad said that she believed that most Iraqis were not happy with the trial, and those who acted pleased "were chosen by a certain party to reach a certain goal".
She blamed Iran:
"You know the depth that Iranian influence has reached inside this country."
When asked about the outcome of the trial, Raghad said:
"This is the most difficult question. The father is very, very dear, as much as children are dear, my father is dearer to me for sure. It's difficult to predict."
Raghad described the trial as "a farce and unfair", and said:
"My uncle Barzan has been remarkable in court, very courageous and a real hero. He has clarified the wrong impression that was made about Iraqi men. Those who surround my father, they what could be called Iraq's real men, the honourable image that represents our country."
Raghad said that she believed that most Iraqis were not happy with the trial, and those who acted pleased "were chosen by a certain party to reach a certain goal".
She blamed Iran:
"You know the depth that Iranian influence has reached inside this country."
When asked about the outcome of the trial, Raghad said:
"This is the most difficult question. The father is very, very dear, as much as children are dear, my father is dearer to me for sure. It's difficult to predict."
Saturday, April 08, 2006
Saddam Claims Testimony Altered
On Thursday Saddam Hussein claimed in court that his written testimony had been altered.
Quote:
"Some of these sentences were inserted in the testimony".
This was dismissed by Presiding Judge Rauf Abdel Rahman, who said:
"Your legal representatives were present at the time you gave that testimony.
Did he not read it when you signed it?"
Quote:
"Some of these sentences were inserted in the testimony".
This was dismissed by Presiding Judge Rauf Abdel Rahman, who said:
"Your legal representatives were present at the time you gave that testimony.
Did he not read it when you signed it?"
Thursday, April 06, 2006
Saddam Dismisses Evidence
Saddam Hussein yesterday dismissed evidence suggesting that he authorised the execution of people under 18, the minimum age for death sentences under his rule.
Well he would say that, wouldn't he?
He was being cross-examined about the killing of Shias in the town of Dujail, following an assassination attempt on him in 1982.
During the session, a defence lawyer was ejected from court when she tried to display photos of Iraqis tortured in US run prisons.
She said:
"This is what the Americans did to Iraqis in Abu Ghraib." She said, as the court was examining alleged deaths during interrogation under Saddam Hussein's rule.
The prosecution produced documents that showed that 28 people, whose executions had been approved of by Saddam, were under 18.
Chief prosecutor Jaafar al-Moussawi presented the id cards of the children, and read out their dates of birth.
Saddam said that id cards could easily be forged.
Quote:
"There is a clear ulterior motive by those who have given you these documents. You can buy IDs like this in the market. Is it the responsibility of the head of the state to check the IDs of defendants and see how old he is?"
The trial continues.
Well he would say that, wouldn't he?
He was being cross-examined about the killing of Shias in the town of Dujail, following an assassination attempt on him in 1982.
During the session, a defence lawyer was ejected from court when she tried to display photos of Iraqis tortured in US run prisons.
She said:
"This is what the Americans did to Iraqis in Abu Ghraib." She said, as the court was examining alleged deaths during interrogation under Saddam Hussein's rule.
The prosecution produced documents that showed that 28 people, whose executions had been approved of by Saddam, were under 18.
Chief prosecutor Jaafar al-Moussawi presented the id cards of the children, and read out their dates of birth.
Saddam said that id cards could easily be forged.
Quote:
"There is a clear ulterior motive by those who have given you these documents. You can buy IDs like this in the market. Is it the responsibility of the head of the state to check the IDs of defendants and see how old he is?"
The trial continues.
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
Saddam Hussein's Trial Resumes
Saddam Hussein's trial resumed today, with the usual display of grandstanding by the former leader of Iraq.
Saddam accused Iraq's Interior Ministry of killing and torturing thousands of people. He was then told by the judge to refrain from political statements, prompting Saddam to retort:
"You're scared of the interior minister, he doesn't scare my dog."
During the cross examination, Saddam demanded that an international body examine signatures on an order approving death sentences against those accused of organising an assassination attempt against him in Dujail in 1982.
He noted that witnesses presented by the prosecution in the case were bribed.
"The witnesses who testified were brought here after being bribed and briefed of what was to be said."
Challenging the judge, Saddam said:
"Who could dare to give a verdict against the president who defended his country and stood up against those who fought with Iraq?"
Clearly he forgets that he is no longer president.
Saddam accused Iraq's Interior Ministry of killing and torturing thousands of people. He was then told by the judge to refrain from political statements, prompting Saddam to retort:
"You're scared of the interior minister, he doesn't scare my dog."
During the cross examination, Saddam demanded that an international body examine signatures on an order approving death sentences against those accused of organising an assassination attempt against him in Dujail in 1982.
He noted that witnesses presented by the prosecution in the case were bribed.
"The witnesses who testified were brought here after being bribed and briefed of what was to be said."
Challenging the judge, Saddam said:
"Who could dare to give a verdict against the president who defended his country and stood up against those who fought with Iraq?"
Clearly he forgets that he is no longer president.
Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Second Trial
Jaafar al-Mousawi, the chief prosecutor for the tribunal trying Saddam Hussein, said that yesterday he received the investigating judge's file on Saddam's role in the 1988 Anfal campaign against Kurdish rebels. Anfal saw many thousands of civilians killed.
Mousawi said that the case could now proceed, and be assigned to a second criminal panel that will set a date for the initial court session on the Anfal campaign.
This will be a different trial to the current one that Saddam is attending. However, it is not expected to commence in the near future and at least 45 days notice is required under Iraqi law.
Mousawi expects over eight defendants, including Saddam and his cousin Ali Hassan al-Majeed, to be charged with crimes against humanity in the Anfal case.
The current trial of Saddam is expected to resume tomorrow.
Mousawi said that the case could now proceed, and be assigned to a second criminal panel that will set a date for the initial court session on the Anfal campaign.
This will be a different trial to the current one that Saddam is attending. However, it is not expected to commence in the near future and at least 45 days notice is required under Iraqi law.
Mousawi expects over eight defendants, including Saddam and his cousin Ali Hassan al-Majeed, to be charged with crimes against humanity in the Anfal case.
The current trial of Saddam is expected to resume tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)