The Trial of Saddam Hussein and The Fallout of The War

The Trial of Saddam Hussein

Text

The fallout in the Middle East from the regime change in Iraq

Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Farce Continues

Whilst allegations and denials abound in the media over the estimate that at least 600,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since the enforced regime change in Iraq, the farce of the trial of Saddam Hussein continues.

Saddam rebuked the chief judge, Chief Judge Mohammed Oreibi al-Khalifa, yesterday and accused him of preventing him (Saddam) from defending himself.

Saddam lambasted the judge for switching off the microphone on Tuesday, when Saddam began shouting a verse from the Quran.

Quote:

"When the accuser and prosecutor talk, the world listens. When the man called 'the accused' speaks, you switch off the microphone. Is this fair?"

The judge said that he had cut Saddam's microphone to "bring order to the courtroom."

Adding:

"Clearly you wanted to give a speech when you started reciting a verse from the holy book. You can talk if you want to defend yourself, but not to get into the political labyrinth."

Saddam interrupted, but the judge cut the microphone again.

Also on Wednesday, defendant Hussein Rashid Mohammed protested that a bailiff had hit him the previous day.

"You say the court is Iraqi. Is it acceptable that a defendant is hit and sworn at in front of the judge?"

Al-Khalifa replied:

"Everyone in this court is under my protection."

The farce continues, as does the chaos in the streets of Iraq.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Saddam Back in Court

Saddam Hussein returned to his trial today, after being thrown out yesterday by the judge for disrupting the proceedings.

Saddam and his six co-defendants are now sitting quietly, as chief judge Mohammed Oreibi al-Khalifa called on a Kurdish witness to take the stand.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Saddam Thrown Out Again

In what is becoming a regular ritual, Saddam Hussein has been thrown out of court again today.

Mohammed Oreibi al-Khalifa, the chief judge, threw Saddam and another defendant out of court today after Saddam started shouting.

The judge cut off the microphone as Saddam began to speak. He then pointed to court bailiffs to escort Saddam from the courtroom.

Saddam started shouting a verse from the Quran:

"Fight them and God will punish them."

Needless to say the Iraqi people were not allowed to witness this scene, as the TV broadcasts were censored so that neither Saddam's words nor the judge's voice were heard.

Seemingly it is feared that Saddam may still stir some powerful emotions in some of the Iraqis.

The judge told Saddam's six co-defendants:

"I allowed you to say what you want, but you've been making problems."

One of the defendants Hussein Rashid Mohammed, a former army commander, stood up and shouted insults at the prosecutors. When a bailiff forced him back into his chair, Mohammed punched him.

The judge had Mohammed thrown out and closed the session to the media.

The farce continues.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Saddam's Trial Resumes

The trial of Saddam Hussein, for alleged war crimes and genocide against the Kurds in the 1980's, has resumed in Baghdad today.

When last in court, two weeks ago, Saddam was ejected after defying instructions from the judge to be quiet.

The defence team met Saddam last week, but they have stated that they will continue to boycott the trial in protest about the replacement of former chief judge, Abdullah al-Amiri, following accusations of bias in favour of Saddam.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Bloodbath Predicted

It seems that the reason for the delay in issuing a verdict in the first trial of Saddam Hussein, may be fears that his execution would lead to a bloodbath in Iraq.

That at least is the view of former U.S. attorney general Ramsey Clark, a member of Saddam Hussein's defence team.

Clark said at a news conference that he feared that should Saddam and the others be hanged, "catastrophic violence" would follow that would lead to:

"the end of civilisation as we know it in the birthplace of civilisation, Mesopotamia. Total, unmitigated chaos."

Clark believes that Saddam's Sunni Muslim tribe of 1.5 million would consider the execution a revenge killing by the Shiite-controlled and U.S. sponsored government.

It seems that although Saddam may no longer be in office, he still seems to have power over the people of Iraq. This does not bode well for the future.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Verdict Delayed

The verdict in the first trial of Saddam Hussein has been delayed indefinitely.

The verdict was due to be announced on 16 October, when the court reconvenes, but officials now say evidence will be reviewed at the session.

A prosecutor said that defence lawyers could submit written documents, after which a verdict date could be set.

Saddam is also being tried separately for genocide linked to a 1980's offensive against the Kurds.

No reason has been given for the delay in issuing a verdict. This delay hardly adds credibility to the trial process.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Brother In Law of Saddam's Judge Assassinated

As Baghdad and Iraq further descend into chaos and strife, it is reported that Kadhem Abdul Hussein, the brother in law of Muhammed Ureybi the chief judge trying Saddam Hussein, was shot dead Thursday together with his son by unknown armed men in a western Baghdad neighborhood.

It is not clear as to whether the attack is linked to Saddam's trial.

Ureybi was appointed to replace chief judge Abdulla Al-Amiri last week, by the government, after judge Amiri was accused of being lenient with Saddam Hussein and his aides.

In my view this trial must be moved to a neutral country away from influence, chaos and state interference if it has any chance to succeed.

In other news the Iraqi government has ordered an immediate curfew in Baghdad, to run until Sunday morning. It is not clear as to why the curfew has been ordered.

The Iraqi government stated:

"The government has decided to enforce a curfew on vehicles and individuals starting from Friday evening until 0600 on Sunday morning (0200 GMT)."

As if to add to the growing sense of crisis surrounding the failed Iraq venture, Washington now has to contend with a book to be published on Monday by Bob Woodward (veteran Watergate investigator).

Mr Woodwards book, State of Denial, claims that the White House ignored warnings about inadequate troop numbers in Iraq and that the relationships between senior figures within the Administration are non existent.

The book claims that Bush's senior advisers are barely on speaking terms, yet always manage to dismiss assessments from American commanders and others about the situation in Iraq as being too pessimistic.

The book claims that Donald Rumsfeld was said to be so hostile towards Condoleezza Rice, when she was National Security Adviser, that he wouldn't return her calls and that Bush had to tell him to return her phone calls.

General John Abizaid, the US commander for the Middle East, is quoted as saying last year that "Rumsfeld doesn't have any credibility any more".

The book also notes that Andrew Card, the former White House chief of staff, had twice tried to force the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld over his mis-handling of the Iraq war.

Mission accomplished!

Friday, September 29, 2006

Saddam's Lawyers Urge Rejection

Saddam Hussein's lawyers are urging Iraqis to reject his trial on the basis that, in their belief, the court is biased against him.

The defence team, who are currently boycotting the trial, issued a statement yesterday, quote:

"We call upon the public opinion... to stop this farce after (the Iraqi court) intentionally prejudiced the feelings of Iraqis, Arabs and all good people by repeatedly trying to offend the dignity of President Saddam and his comrades."

What the statement should have called for, were it to be fully credible, would be for the trial to be moved to an international setting (eg the Hague) and for a formal Nuremberg style trial to be instituted.

Whatever the verdict, it is clear that under the current shambolic arrangements, that verdict will not be seen as credible by many parties; thus dangerously undermining the foundations of the new Iraq.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Trial Fit For A Dictator?

The Daily Telegraph has published a splendid piece that lambasts the ongoing farce of the Saddam Hussein trial, and notes that if any form of justice is to be done then Saddam should be removed from Iraq and given a Nuremberg style trial (as I have repeated often enough on this site).

Some may argue that Saddam will get his "just desserts" and that the form of trial makes no difference, as he does not deserve fairness or justice anyway.

Those who put forward this argument are wrong, they ignore the fact that the trial of Iraq's former leader will serve as the foundation for law and justice within the new Iraq (whatever form that may take). To start with a mismanaged and tragic farce, as we are currently witnessing, bodes ill for the future of the new Iraq.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Saddam's Trial Adjourned

The trial of Saddam Hussein has been adjourned until October 9th.

Chief Judge Muhammed al-Ureybi has called the adjournment to allow defendants to contact their lawyers or appoint new ones.

Yesterday Saddam was ejected from court for a third time, as he tried to comment on the word Peshmerga, referring to Kurdish guerrilla, but the judge ordered him to sit down.

Saddam then said that the court was "unjust".

To which the judge reminded Saddam about their respective roles:

"You are the defendant and I am the judge here."

The judge then ordered Saddam to leave the room, at which point the codefendants all demanded to leave the court.

Amidst all of the hubbah bubbah, seven witnesses took the stand to complain about Saddam and his aides and the Anfal offensive in 1988.

The trial continues on 9th October, with or without the defendants and defence team.